D.C. Part 3

April 15, 2009 § Leave a comment

I’m really pushing my crunch time for my piano recital. I know that I can get the Queen of Sheeba together, but it’s just so hard to pull through more than 30 minutes every time I go up to the piano. But as soon as Alicia and Michelle are done with Wii, I’m going to play through it with no hesitations (hopefully) and show Mrs. Roma that I AM working hard.

But for now, I’ll finish talking about my trip! So the next day, I woke up around 9:00 and basically just started packing all my stuff to leave. As much as I had made sure I had everything in my bags, I still managed to leave my cell phone charger at Helen’s house. I’m on Spring Break, and I have limited cell phone battery. WHAT?? But it’s ok, good thing I’m not obsessed with texting. Otherwise, I don’t know how I would survive. In the process of my packing, I was also watching bits and pieces of Sex and the City, which is awesome! It was the first time I had seen it, so I wish I could have sat through the whole thing. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll be able to watch it again sometime. We finally ate our delicious hot pot at around 10:30, and we had sooo much food! Helen put in a spicy mix into the water, so it was different from what I usually have at home, but it was really good. We ate lamb, white mushrooms, field greens, lobster balls, and fish dumplings. I think my favorite would be the lobster balls, but Courtney, Helen’s roommate, said that the texture is really weird haha. I was so full by the time we were all done. It was good to have a happy stomach just before leaving to go sight seeing.

Oh, and of course Helen’s cool roommate! We met her Saturday morning, but we had to leave right away to Todai. We talked to her a little that night and she had some wonton soup with us. She also had some of the hot pot with us, and she was surprisingly pretty open about trying all the stuff we were having. I think Helen said that she’s a childcare consultant major, or something of the sort. It was nice being able to meet someone who was willing to know about Chinese culture.

After finishing our filling hot pot meal, Auntie Jing, Cutie, and I headed out to downtown D.C. I didn’t get my chance to show off my dress because it was so cold, and I got a stain on it while eating the hot pot, so I think the weekend was just not meant for me to wear that dress. :( But I’m glad I changed, because it was windy and chilly, so I would have been freezing. First we went to the Tidal Basin planning to walk around and see the cherry blossoms. Unfortunately, parking was filled up everywhere around that area, so we couldn’t get out to stroll. Cutie sprained her leg a few years ago and it’s still not properly healed, so it’s not like we could have gone too far anyway. Then we drove to the Capitol Hill, and we were able to find a parking spot there. We took some pictures for Cutie, and I saved my opportunity for another time with nicer weather, and when I wore something cuter hehee. I took some pictures of the tulips in the garden in front of it because they were so colorful! There was a spot when we walked up to the very front of the Capitol where the sun was shining on us just right, and it felt so good to just look out at The Mall from it. I definitely kept thinking that it was The Lawn, because I remember someone saying how Thomas Jefferson named UVA’s Lawn after it, but I was wrong. I’m going to have to look up where I thought that was true.

By the time we returned to the car, it was almost time to drive back to Charlottesville, but we made a quick drive past the White House once again, and then we made a detour to H&M. Even though Auntie and Cutie wanted to go in, we were parked in a spot that we weren’t sure was legal, so they had to stay in the car while I went shopping…again! I had 20 minutes and I wasn’t sure if I could make it, but I ended up buying a magenta medium-sleeved shirt with swirls, and a purple short sleeve sweater to pull over dresses. I’m officially obsessed with shopping. Mom is so worried about me when I’m on my own. Ahh I need to manage my money better! I left my phone in my big black jacket, so I didn’t know the time when I was making my purchases, but I came back exactly 20 minutes later. I’m so good.

We started driving back to Charlottesville, and we stopped midway to meet up with another Auntie who was helping to move in a couch for Auntie Jing. Oh yeah, there was this really complicated process of communication between Dad and Auntie Jing about how I would come back home. First, Dad said that he could pick me up at Charlottesville because he would be coming back from Ohio that day. It turns out that he already arrived home Saturday night, so he was wondering if Auntie Jing could drive me home. Well, since Auntie Jing thought that Dad would pick me up at UVA, she planned a project study session with her friends, and they were supposed to meet up at 9:00 that night. But if she were to take me home, she would arrive late to her meeting because she would be wasting 4 extra hours driving on the road. Dad finally ended up saying that he could pick me up at Charlottesville. We all felt bad but it was the only satisfactory option.

It was fun on the way back though; Dad took a detour on the Blue Ridge Parkway so we got to see some pretty scenery. It’s ironic how I probably have more pictures of just the mountains than all of D.C. I’ll have plenty of other days to take those pictures though. ;) Uncle Xu, Dad’s customer from Ohio, was really nice, and he has a daughter the same age as me. She’s thinking about going to University of Southern California or a college I forget the name of from Pennsylvania next year. She sounds pretty cool. He gave me her email address when we returned to his hotel so that I can contact her. We stopped for some Hardee’s, and I listened to my iPod almost the whole way. We got home at around 11:00, and as tired as I was, I still unpacked everything from the trip and organized my new clothes (that I’m so excited to wear!). OMG this weekend was probably the most fun and stress-free time I’ve ever had my whole senior year. I’m so thankful for Auntie Jing’s willingness to take me with her and her friends. I’m honored to know that she can trust me to meet and respect her friends. It feels so good!

So I finally finished! A 3-day trip summed up in 3 entries…I hope that I put enough details in so that I can remember everything from it. I remember just last year I would talk about what I did on certain days, but I never elaborated. I’m trying to change that now, so I can look back and reminisce. Yay I’m done! I hope that I can improve on the Queen of Sheeba now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading D.C. Part 3 at Movin to Music.


%d bloggers like this: